How free am I as an artist by Isabelle Gautier

Asian  and African  tones 


Sometimes I feel like "an impostor".
Do I have the right to mimic Asian calligraphy?

It started with a love of music and dance.
Embodiment seemed to be the way to go to eliminate the "middle tool". For me the brush was just an extension of my hand and arm. Pouring out of a bottle allowed the freedom of the gesture.So i decided to use the bottle.

The next thing I knew I was tracing pictograms and from there  my interest and fascination went into Calligraphy. And why not graffiti? how do I call it ?... calligraffiti seemed right.

No tracing was  starting with the real ideogram.....

Art for the sake of art? Art to provoke. Art to combine two worlds, to push acceptance , to open doors, to make feel uncomfortable....

People don't know what to think, it perturbs.
Good. I won.

My thoughts are: As an artist I should break the barriers. I respect tremendously Asian calligraphy and creating these pieces is just working on the fusion of two worlds, so I will keep doing it. I am not pretending tracing the real Asian art .

Fr more calligraffiti, calligraphy art visit www.IsabelleGautiersART.com

Comments